IRA Charitable Rollovers

The US Congress permanently extended (with no expiration date) the legislation allowing individuals the ability to make tax-free distributions from Traditional or Roth Individual Retirement Account (IRA) assets to certain qualified charitable organizations such as The University of Alabama.

Those interested may request direct transfers from their IRA in any amount up to $100,000 to a charity without reporting it as taxable income. This provision applies to people age 70½ or older at the time the transfer is completed. Thus, it may be possible for couples who each have separate IRA accounts to transfer up to $200,000 in a single tax year.

We encourage you to check with your financial advisors about the best ways for you to take advantage of this opportunity as you consider gifts to the University and other charitable interests that are important to you.

It is simple to make a transfer. Contact your account administrator to request a check be delivered to the address below.

The University of Alabama
Tax Identification #63-6001138
Attn: Office of Planned Giving
Box 870123
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487
(205) 348-0999
(888) 875-4438 TOLL FREE

To help us record and acknowledge your gift in a timely manner, please contact the Office of Planned Giving to provide the following information about the IRA distribution:

  1. Purpose of the gift (i.e. the name of the University fund into which the gift should be deposited);
  2. Name of the financial institution sending the check; and
  3. Amount of the distribution.

Thank you for your support of The University of Alabama. In the event we may be of service regarding Charitable IRA or other giving options, please contact our planned giving staff without obligation at the phone numbers or email provided above.